Skip to main content

Iceland day 1 - 35 hours strong

First off, getting to Iceland at 00:30  Eastern standard time / 4:30 Iceland time makes for an interesting and long travel day. We traveled around the south west coast, hugging the water as much as we could and stopping at the location where two tectonic plates are split and you can walk between them. We also went to a mineral pool and sulfur rich hot springs. Shopping is fun and is very interested to feel out produce and meat purchases.

Things are not open in Iceland on Sundays (obviously some things are, just a lot are not) or before 09:00 or after 19:00 every day, before June. It appears that most stuff opens June 1st ( visitor centers, Viking recreations,....) things that are closed in the winter but are open for tourist season.

If you land late / early a 24hr subway exist here in the corner of this shopping center, I do not love subway but at 4 am with no idea on a Sunday when your next meal is gong to be right off it is wonderful.

This is the view from the Subway Kronan parking lot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iceland - Highlights and information

I have now been back for a few days and figured I should summarize my Icelandic findings a little more concise. Quick what I learned, found out to be helpful, places to go, eye masks ( they are really important), and other nuggets as I think of them. Logan Airport Terminal E - is great, I always like flying out of Logan, water bottle filling stations not crappy water fountains or super hot bathroom water ( more on this at KEF). Easy to get to, fast security and over all comfortable Wow AIR - http://wowair.us/ They are a new and small fleet airline that get low prices by up charging you for actually selecting a seat, ( you get a seat but if you want one next to your partner then you pay or they just give you a seat when you check in. They charge for water and all snacks on the plane so stock up in the airport before boarding. They are definitely a good option for an affordable flight from BOS to KEF. Your going to get emails about APIS & ESTA if you are traveling from the US as a US

Iceland - Day 8 explore

Today we explored our surroundings, I started off the morning with a hike around the peninsula to check out the unoccupied hot spring (finally, people are always driving by or stopping in to ask for direction. It must be the only one for a while around as it is busy). Then I found a trekking crew and we went across the road and hiked a mountain. It was moss covered rocks, that sort of move under foot, yet easy to climb. It was a fairly quick hike up and it got a little steep and sketchy so we went 92% of the way. It was still awesome. After the hike I went in the local hot spring tub. It's a hot spring running into a concrete and rock pool about the size of a hot tub. I then wadded out into the ocean and dive in and "swam" a couple strokes and then promptly removed myself from the freezing cold water. (It did not feel colder then maine ocean water because it's not 90 degrees out like when we swim at home) This is what a picnic area in iceland looks like, this is n

Iceland - Day 6 Vik

I s tarted by making my chofeur drop off for the volunteers. Followed by my start to Vik. I stopped at Seljalandsfoss so I could walk behind a waterfall. It was right next to the road and was a wet hike around the falls. Next up Skógafoss, 36ish double stairs and 390 regular stairs later and you can be at the top. It was foggy and was not the best view today but it looked like it was clearer on the return trip. Then turned right to go to Reynisfjara, a very black beach. The very round and smooth rocks size changed from the water to the cliffs, the stone was larger by the water and became increasingly smaller as you got further away. The waves were very big and crashed very close to the shore. I then went to Vik to look at the Reynisdrangar from another vantage point. The beach was quiet, I somehow ended up being the only person on the one to the right if the seawall long enough to get a few pictures. I then scaled the tiny town to go take pictures at the vik church. I then started b